Monday, January 16, 2012

Extreme Makeover... Rice Creek Lane Edition

Hey guys! Thanks for reading my blog. I have a bad history of starting blogs and completely forgetting about them after the 3rd of 4th post, so hopefully that won't happen this time. I decided to start a blog about things that I really love (hence the title-boots and burlap.) I wanted to share things that I make, paint, or even just things that I am passionate about. So thanks for following! If you ever see anything that you would like to purchase, send me an email at caitlis@gmail.com or comment on the post to talk about custom items!

I thought I would start out by sharing something that I am super excited about right now. Since my family moved into our beautiful home on Rice Creek Lane 9 years ago, my room has been pink. This was a really great decision when I was in 9th grade, but at this point in my life, it just had to go! After a year of begging my parents to let me redo the room, Christmas break was finally the time. I had been dreaming about what I would do with my room when I finally got the opportunity (there's nothing I love more than a blank canvas!), and it was so exciting to see it all come together!

I knew I wanted a neutral pallet with a few pops of bold colors added in here and there so that I could easily change the look of my room over the years without too much money or work. Before I put this "before" picture of my room up, let me throw out a quick disclaimer: I have literally 0 pictures of my room except this one. I took it on my phone to send to my sister as I was cleaning all of the junk out of my room that had accumulated over the past 9 years, so forgive the tornado effect of my belongings! Needless to say, I had a trunk load of stuff for Goodwill that day! Ok, so here's my room before (including everything in it):And here are some after pictures:

Thanks to my friend Eileen at A Creative Day, I was introduced to West Elm. If you haven't heard of it, do yourself a favor and check it out NOW! Think Pottery Barn+Modern Flare+Cheaper Prices. It's fabulous. Anyway, I found the perfect duvet on their website, but it was a little more than we wanted to spend. My sister lives in Atlanta and has a West Elm store 10 min from her apartment, so while she was in the store one day, she called to tell me she found the duvet marked down to $40 and shams for $5/each. My lucky day! I found the sheets on clearance at Target for $40 (originally $80!) and collected some items from closets around the house. I tried to re-purpose as many items as possible. Other decorations in the room include:
-My favorite lamp EVER (it has a burlap shade. so of course I fell in love immediately)- was marked 50% off at Target (Got it for $25-score!)
-I love vintage items, and I found the old books in a closet in our house.
-The basket under my nightstand used to hold our dog toys, and now it holds my clutter.
-The jar on my dresser used to hold dog treats, but wasn't being used anymore. I put some spanish moss inside with an extra candle we had laying around (with raffia tied around it).
-The bird cage and topiary are from TJ Maxx for $8 each. They were my favorite purchases for the room!

So there you have it. Altogether, we spent $193 and my room has a completely new look! I'm sure it won't stay exactly like this for long because I am always moving things around and I think it still needs some more finishing touches, but for now I love it! I'll be doing a painting soon for above my bed, so I'll share that whenever I have the time to paint it!
Have a great day!

2 comments:

  1. You are too cute. I thought I introduced you to West Elm! :) Love the blog and love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey stinker, next time give me and yo mama some street creds for funding the whole thing! Love you sweetie!

    ReplyDelete